Robert “Bob” Ramazzotti

Robert Ramazzotti, Calvary Cemetery, Altoona

I finished paying my respects to Thomas “Tommy” Irwin and walked back toward the vehicle. Though I knew I had a number of graves to visit on this trip, I knew there was another baseball player who rested close to Irwin’s resting place. Note: more about Irwin can be found here: Thomas “Tommy” Irwin.

I paused in front of my vehicle and scanned the stones on the opposite side of the roadway from Irwin’s grave. Almost immediately I could see the name “Ramazzotti” engraved on a stone a short walk away. As I made my way through the garden of stone toward the granite marker, I could see an American flag flapping on the flat, stone marker next to the family memorial. Pausing at the stone, I could see it remembers Robert Ramazzotti and his service during World War Two, but nothing on it – or the family stone – notes his career as a professional baseball player.

Ramazzotti should have been a break-out star and noted baseball player, but his career was hampered by a plague of bad luck and unfortunate events.

Robert “Bob” Louis Ramazzotti was born January 16, 1917 to Paola and Madalena Ramazzotti who had immigrated from Italy and settled in Altoona. Ramazzotti attended Altoona High School, graduating in 1936 and soon after began playing baseball for the Columbia Park team of the Altoona City League.

In 1939, Ramazzotti tried out for the Pittsburgh Pirates who saw potential in the young player. They were impressed with his abilities and offered him a contract. Ramazzotti responded by turning down the offer – the pay was not enough to cover the expense of his room and board. That August, Bill Killefer, a Brooklyn Dodgers scout, arrived in Altoona to watch Ramazzotti and signed him to the Brooklyn Dodgers.

On May 10, 1940 Ramazzotti made his professional debut as a shortstop with the Johnstown Johnnies. He made a big impression in that first game hitting a grand slam to help the Johnnies in their 15-8 win over McKeesport. His debut season ended with 143 hits, thirty doubles, six triples and eleven homeruns.

With a solid first season, Ramazzotti was sent to the Durham Bulls of the Class B Piedmont League for the 1940 season. He again had a solid season and was sent to the Triple A league in Montreal for the 1941 season. Unfortunately the 1941 season would not happen for Ramazzotti – he left baseball to serve in World War Two. During the war he served as a Staff Sergeant in the 71 Infantry Division.

After being honorably discharged in 1946, Ramazzotti made his return to baseball and the Brooklyn Dodgers. That season, the Dodgers moved to Cincinnati and Ramazzotti was moved from shortstop to third base.

The following year, Ramazzotti was moved to the Triple A team of the St. Paul Saints, where his season came to an abrupt end on Thursday, August 7 – a night that almost cost him his life. The Saints were playing the Columbus Redbirds when Ramazzotti was hit in the left temple by a fastball pitched by Otey Clark. Ramazzotti’s skull was fractured in three places and he was listed as serious, but stable condition. On Saturday August 9, it was discovered he had a blood clot in his brain and had to be operated on. The surgery was successful and Ramazzotti returned to Altoona to recover. In January 1948 it was discovered the blood clot had returned and after another surgery, he had a metal plate placed in his head.

Determined to return to baseball, Ramazzotti attended the Dodgers spring training in the Dominican Republic, just months after his surgery. That season, Ramazzotti managed to make the Dodgers’ 1948 roster. However, Ramazzotti would only make an appearance in four games before being returned to the St. Paul Saints. The following year he once again made the Dodgers roster, but only played five games before being traded to Chicago. Ironically, Ramazzotti would make his first appearance with the Cubs against the Dodgers. Note: in many regional newspaper articles, it is reported he was traded to Chicago in 1950, but his baseball statistics show the trade happened in the 1949 season.

The 1950 season saw Ramazzotti only making an occasional appearance in the games until June when he was placed at second base. The errors that plagued Ramazzotti in the years before and the beginning of the season, seemed to be over.

Then July 2, 1950 happened.

Chicago was playing Cincinnati and Ramazzotti was playing second base. The Cubs were winning 12-0 when Eddie Erautt slid into second base and spiked Ramazzotti in the left forearm. Ramazzotti received eleven stitches and was taken out of the game for two weeks while he recovered. He had only been back for a couple days when Ramazzotti injured his knee while trying to make a double play and was out for a month. On his return, Ramazzotti found himself on the bench, only making an occasional appearance for the remainder of the season.

The following year, Ramazzotti found himself again on the bench for the start of the season. On July 18, 1951 he took over the shortstop position after Jack Cusick, the current shortstop, was injured. He played the remainder of the season at shortstop, and though he gave his all for the game, the Cubs finished last in their division that season.

The 1952 season almost didn’t happen for Ramazzotti. At the end of spring training, there was no place for him on the roster. However, when Bud Harden was out with a sore arm, Ramazzotti found himself on the opening day roster. As a starting member of the Cubs’ roster, Ramazzotti’s bad luck once again seemed to be over. On opening day, in a game against Cincinnati, bad luck showed itself again. Eddie Miksis had doubled and in the process injured his leg. Ramazzotti came out to second to pinch run. Cincinnati pitcher Herm Wehmeier attempted to pick Ramazzotti off and in the process hit him in the back of the head with his throw. Ramazzotti stayed in the game, but was pulled the following inning after making an error.

Ramazzotti would return to second base and would have an impressive start to the season. However, on June 2, his streak of good luck came to an end when he injured his right knee in a game against Brooklyn. Though team doctors thought he would be back in a week, Ramazzotti only played in a handful of games in June due to his knee giving him problems. On July 12, his knee gave out again and it was discovered that he had torn cartilage and was placed in a full leg cast. Ramazzotti ended up having season-ending surgery in September of that year.

Bad luck seemed to avoid him in the 1952 season, but it returned in 1953 due to numerous injuries, including a double-fracture of a finger. That would be his final season in the Major Leagues. Ramazzotti ended his career in the Majors with 196 hits, twenty-two doubles, nine triples, four homeruns, and fifteen stolen bases.

He made an appearance in the Los Angeles Triple A team in 1953 and in 1954 was a part of the Cincinnati Reds system, being a member of the Havanna Sugar Kings. He played in just nine games before being injured again and in June, Ramazzotti announced his retirement from baseball.

After retirement, he returned to his family in Altoona and would become involved with various youth leagues, while being employed at a plant making ball bearings. He worked there for twenty years before retiring. In May 1988, Ramazzotti was inducted into the Blair County Sports Hall of Fame. He would pass on February 15, 2000, at the age of eighty-three.

I finished remembering his baseball career and honored his time in the service before I left him to rest within the borders of Calvary Cemetery.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s